Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
Former world number four Holger Rune, sidelined since October by an Achilles tendon injury, has withdrawn from the US Open, organizers said Friday.
The 23-year-old Dane hasn't played competitive tennis since he was hurt in the semi-finals at Stockholm last year.
There had been indications that he was nearing a return when photos surfaced on social media this week of him playing practice sets in Spain with Carlos Alcaraz.
Seven-time Grand Slam champion Alcaraz has been sidelined himself since April with a wrist injury but posted on social media Thursday that he was "back" -- just in time for his title defense at the final Grand Slam of the year which starts in New York on August 30.
Rune said in a post on X, captioning a photo with Alcaraz and others, that he was nearing a return.
"Really happy for my improvements and level," he wrote. "And we keep working.
"My team and I have decided not to have a Grand Slam as my first tournament coming back. US Open see you next year.
"Can't wait to see you all VERY soon."
US Open organizers said Rune's place in the main draw would be taken by Argentina's Facundo Diaz Acosta.
M.Marie--PS